Pages

Monday, December 14, 2009

Favorite Christmas Books

Christmas time is upon us and I've been doing some lovely holiday reading.  So in particular order, are some of my favorite Christmas reading.

1. The Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Barbara Robinson) - I loved the movie growing up.  We had it on tape and use to watch it all the time.  I read the book a few years back and now I try to read it at least once during the season.  It's about the Herdmans, a group of bad children, who take over a Christmas pageant and end up making everyone think about the true meaning of the Nativity and who learn themselves the meaning of Christmas.

2. Skipping Christmas (John Grisham) - My favorite holiday book, I listen to it every year for about 5 years now.  I love how the Kranks try to "skip Christmas" with hilarious results and how no one wants to let them and everyone acts very selfishly until the very end.

3.  A Christmas Carol (Charles Dickens) - Of course, this is a perennial favorite.  There is much more to this little novella than any adaptation you will see (though my favorite is A Muppet Christmas Carol) and the redemption of Scrooge is so classic.

4. The Gift of the Magi (O. Henry) - Another lovely classic, it's the story of two people willing to sacrifice something they love for each other.  So much goes into the act of sacrificing something that it makes the realization at the end very poignant.

5.  A Christmas Story (Jean Shepherd) - The famous movie is actually based on four short stories by Shephered.  I love the extended version of what happens to Ralphie that this is a great book to listen to during the Christmas season.

So there are my favorite re-reads for Christmas.  What are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment