Pages

Monday, June 24, 2013

Mama, she said repeatedly

One day after hearing Bub call for me about 50 billionity times I swore I wouldn't teach the next one to call me Mom or Mama or any variation of that word. I said the second kid would just have to learn it for herself. But somehow with the second one I found myself encouraging her to say Mama. But for a long time (well up until last week) Button didn't say Mama all that much. She said it on occasion, mostly saying "Nama" and still that was rare especially in relation to how much she said Dada. Which is fair since he is with her the majority of the time. However, sometime last week she caught on with a vengeance that if she says Mama she will have my attention and most likely get what she wants. I don't know if it has something to do with Bub being around for the summer and hearing him or if she finally noticed that calling me Mama will get her noticed. So now when the little beggar child sees me eating something she wants (aka everything I am eating) she will crawl over and pull herself up and repeat Mama over and over again til I give her a bite. Or if she wants me to play with her or read her a book, same thing. So now the amount of Moms and Mamas has doubled in my house.

There is something endearing about hearing that little mouth say Mama and she is pretty adorable. But I also know what happens next. I've had to ask Bub in the past to not say Mom for at least 5 minutes because I was going to lose my mind if I heard it one more time. It's funny how much you love hearing it when your baby (especially the first) is young. It feels so sweet and so special. But the shine quickly wears off. My mother says it is that way pretty much forever. Given the amount my sister and I say Mom, she's not wrong. So against my better judgment I have taught my second born to say Mama and it's something I'll have to hear 100 billionity times a day. But I think it will have been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment