Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Lovies

I've said before about Bub's Elephant. He got him when he was just over a year old, obtaining him at his daycare and they have been inseparable ever since. But there is a new player in town and she seems to have taken a shine to Elephant as well. The other day BT told me she was riding around on her motorcycle with Elephant in front of her. And then she got off and pushed him (it) around for a while. Bub was in his room playing so he didn't notice but he would have snatched that stuffed animal away from her if he had. She loves to pick it up and hug it. I don't know if it is her intent to make it her own or if it's just because Bub carries it around and she loves to do what big brother is doing. And all I can think is What is it about that stuffed animal? It's old and has had to have a new body made several times in the past 5 years. It smells funky 90% of the time from being dragged around. But it seems to have just the right amount of squishness to lay on. And there must be some sort of intangible something that grown-ups don't understand. One of my older cousins teased Bub about Elephant telling him he was too old for that. My mom quietly told him not to say that to Bub. None of Bub's friends seem to think anything of having a stuffed animal to carry around so clearly he is not doing anything his peers aren't doing. I still think it is sweet even if Elephant is a worry to me. He is at a fragile state and I don't know how much longer he will last.

We keep trying to redirect Button to her own toys. Maybe somewhere in there is her own lovie but so far nothing has taken with her. Maybe she just hasn't met it yet. Maybe she will be like me and never have one. But one thing is for sure, it won't be Elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment