Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Dark Crystal

From IMDB:

Another planet, another time. 1000 years ago the Dark Crystal was damaged by one of the Urskeks and an age of chaos began. Now the time of the great conjunction of the three suns is near. If the crystal is not healed now the control of the evil Skeksis will last forever. Jen the last of the Gelflings nearly exterminated by monsters controlled by the Skeksis starts his dangerous journey to find the missing shard of the crystal. Will he be able to heal the crystal and restore order on the planet? Written by Matthias Scheler

It's been at least 20 years since I've seen this movie. The animation and puppetry are, of course, laughable in today's age of CGI but still impressive nonetheless. I remember being so scared of the Skeksis and so sad when the Master died. I don't know if I really understood the dual nature of the Skeksis and the Mystics. I know it's explained but I'm not sure if I grasped the full understanding back then. There was a lot I didn't remember. I remembered the landstriders but forgot that they died. I didn't remember that Kira got stabbed and I forgot how annoying the stupid little dog thing, Fizzgig, was. And the noise that the Skeksis Chamberliain made, I will never forget that. Anyway, it is still a beautiful little movie even if it is still a little scary. My husband, who had never seen it, asked if it really was a kid's movie. Yes it is, but the little boy got bored so maybe only for older kids. I hear there's a prequel in the works. I'd be intersted in seeing that. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they redid this one with better effects. I'm surprised they haven't.

No comments:

Post a Comment