Pages

Monday, August 31, 2009

Toddler TV

If you follow me on Twitter, then you know I write a lot about children's television.  This is because I have a 2 year old and I always watch what he watches.  Some shows I like and I don't mind watching.  Some I hate and will not let Bubs watch either.  He doesn't care.  Mostly he wants to watch Blue's Clues right now.
Recently I said this about Blue's Clues "I wonder what the audition process is like for Blue's Clues. "'Can you act stupidly interested in every freaking thing? Yes! You're hire.'"  This applies to all children's show.  The adults run around acting like they don't know basic skills taught to them by the age of 1 in order to teach the little ones those skills.  This is mildly amusing to me, but hilarious to the little one.
Examples of things I say about Blue's Clues include:

anniekawaii: We are watching Blue's Clues.
anniekawaii: I like Steve better than Joe. Joe has the eyebrow thing going on.
anniekawaii: I am also amused and slightly saddened I have opinions on Blue's Clues
anniekawaii: It's a letter. I bet it's from our friends.
anniekawaii: We just figured out Blue's Clue. Blue wants a party. Seriously, she couldn't have just said so.     
    My husband and I are of the opinion that Blue is a little bit of jerk, always making Steve or Joe run around looking for Clues.  And, frankly, if they can't figure out she invented "Blue's Clues" then I worry for them. Also the letter is always from our friends, always. Although it is better than Yo Gabba, Gabba.  That show just freaks me out.  Bubs definitely won't be watching that one. Other shows that freak me out include Wonder Pets and SuperWhy.  

    This is what I said about The Fresh Beat Band, a new Nickelodeon show.

    anniekawaii: I'm not sure how I feel about "The Fresh Beat Band." The tall one in yellow seems to be the weak link though.
    anniekawaii: I think "Imagination Movers" is still my favorite.
    anniekawaii: Okay, why are these children dressed exactly like these "teenagers"? 

    Because honestly, there were children dressed exactly like the band and I could not figure out why.  The music is very catchy though.  I like "Imagination Movers" a lot too.  They are funny, don't pretend to be stupid or less than grown-ups, and teach logical thinking.  Oh, and their music is really good.
    Some other favorites are "The Backyardigans," Elmo (but his voice makes me a little crazy), and "Word World," one of my favorites.  It's very educational and fun.  Let's build a word!  
    Anyway, children's television is very different from what I grew up on.  I watched Sesame Street, and Mister Rogers and Reading Rainbow, Sherry Lewis and Lambchop, and Sharon, Lois & Bram's Elephant Show.  All good shows, all gone except Sesame Street.  It seems like it was quieter back then, and not as flashy as some of these shows are.
    So I will leave you with the immortal:
    Skinamarinky dinky dink
    Skinamarinky doo
    I love you

    Skinamarinky dinky dink
    Skinamarinky doo
    I love you

    I love you in the morning
    and in the after noon
    I love you in the evening
    and underneath the moon

    Skinamarinky dinky dink
    Skinamarinky doo
    I love you

    No comments:

    Post a Comment