Pages

Monday, November 23, 2009

A Tribute...

So yesterday was the 2nd anniversary of my favorite uncle's death.  It's hard to believe that it's been two years.  My uncle was married to my aunt (my father's sister) for 25 years, but he was my dad's best friend for almost 50 years.  I know that my dad still feels the loss of his friend as to the rest of us.  I still miss a lot and sometimes I find myself thinking about something I want to say to him or show him and then I remember.

My uncle died of pancreatic cancer on Thanksgiving two years ago.  He waited until we were all together as a family which was really just like him.  He had been sick for almost 6 months when he died, but he had been a wheelchair for a very long time.  A motorcycle accident left him paralyzed from the waist down and he had a lot of health problems as a result so it might have been a relief to him, I don't know.  I don't say that meanly but when you've been as sick as he was, I imagine the loss of that pain to be a relief.

By Thanksgiving he wasn't lucid and was actually in a coma at the time.  But a few days before we visited him (he was at home) and talked for a little while.  He loved my little boy who loved him back and I know my uncle loved seeing him (the boy wasn't a year yet) so he got to hold him a little.  And as we were leaving he said told me to take care of that boy and I said I always would and then we said our I love yous and that was the last conversation I ever had with him.  But I keep it in my heart as I keep my uncle in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment