Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

You've been hit by a smooth criminal

Cleolinda wrote a very nice memory post about Michael Jackson (I agree with everything she says and have the same memories) and it got me thinking. It is a shame to have lost 2 of pop cultures biggest icons on the same day. While I liked Farrah Fawcett and thought she was a very beautiful woman and seemed like a nice person, I never really saw her in anything other than a Jonathan Taylor Thomas movie. I feel sad for her family to have lost her and wish them well. And now her death has been (momentarily) overshadowed by Michael Jackson's. Hers was, frankly, expected while his was not.

But Michael Jackson was a constant part of my life growing up. He and Madonna are the biggest icons to come out of the same era, even if he started out younger. They are the only ones I can really think of from when I was growing up that seem like peers to me.

My favorite song is Smooth Criminal (maybe mostly since my nickname is Annie) and I love that video. I remember being scared of the Thriller video and would run from the room when it came on. He was undeniably talented and it is a shame that his life went in such a downward spiral. And it is a shame that no one seems to know how or if to honor him for what he was or what he'd become. But I've always said people are who they are even after death. I see no point in sentimentalizing the dead, they were who they were and should be remembered for everything. There is a whole lot more that could be said, but that about sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment