Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Failure to Thrive {part 2}

Button went to the doctor for her 15 month checkup. And as expected she is petite. She's made it back onto the chart as least for height with her whopping 28 3/4 inches tall, putting her at 6%. But she is still low on weight at 17 lbs 10 oz which is less than 3% on the chart. So 97% of all 15 month olds weigh more than her. Hell, she's basically the size of a 9 month old. When we visited her aunt earlier this month I was holding the Niece (6 months younger) who felt about the same weight as Button. And sure enough they are about the same weight. But I think Button may have lost a little weight when she started walking. She has to be tested for anemia just in case and we have to limit her milk since diary can inhibit iron absorption and she has to drink a Pediasure a day to try and help her gain some weight. I will be shocked if she is anemic. I think she is just small. Honestly at 5' 1" I am about the average height of the women in my father's family. Maybe even a little taller. Most of my aunts barely made 5 feet if they did at all. My sister is one of the taller women at 5' 4". I did a height predictor for Button to see about how tall she'll be. It put her at 4' 11". So there's that. I really doubt that she'll get over 5'. I could be surprised, I know, and she could prove me wrong but my point is she is just... small. I read somewhere that a big baby who is going to be a small child will grow at a slower rate and I think that is what is happening. But once again she has been diagnosed at failure to thrive. But seriously she eats all the time and she has learned to walk and is into everything. I don't consider her a failure at anything. I do wish she'd gain some weight so we could quit doing this. Then again I have a 6 year old who still doesn't weight 40 lbs so clearly I have kids who have issues with weight gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment