Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Angus, Thongs, and Perfect Snogging

Based on the Georgia Nicholson books by Louise Rennison, specifically Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging and It's OK, I'm Wearing Really Big Knickers (On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God in the U.S., this was an adorable movie.  The girl who plays Georgia (Georgia Groome) is so dead-on and Jaz (Eleanor Tomlinson) is really great too though with no fringe and very skinny, not quite how I pictured her.  But anyway, everyone does a fantastic job.

Georgia is planning her fifteen birthday party with her friends, the Ace Gang.  They are very silly girls who like to randomly dance and have the most awesome slang.  Georgia and Jaz are both taken with the new twins, Robbie and Tom, and set out to get their attention.  Robbie starts dating Georgia's rival, but seems to take an interest in Georgia as well.  So she resorts to trickery to make Robbie jealous and like her, but then it backfires and Georgia must try to fix it.

ATPS (for short) is co-written and directed by Gurinder Chadha. who did Bend It Like Beckham and Bride and Prejudice, two of my favorite movies.  And she does an excellent job with this movie.  It does a great job of tying the two books together and the plot and characters changes are minor, Robbie and Tom are twins instead of just brother, for example.  But the story stays intact.  The only thing was the ending, which was great, but since I've read all the books I really wanted to see a little of that.  But the ending of the movie is similar to the end of the books so I can't really say anything bad about it.  This is definitely going to be one of my go to movies when I need a pick me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment