Pages

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Milk and cookies

I wrote last week about not pumping enough milk and trying to boost my supply. The tea isn't really having a big effect. I've been more diligent about nursing her and not letting it go til the last minute. I wanted to add another pumping session but it gets tiring so I've been lackadaisical about that. I'm thinking about getting the More Milk Plus by Motherlove. But I thought I'd try something a little tastier first.

This week I made lactation cookies using this recipe from mama and baby love. They are some kind of tasty and though they are a healthier cookie I wouldn't call them healthy. Too much white flour and sugar. I'm sure there are healthier recipes on the internet. Maybe I'll look one up next time. The key ingredients to milk production are the oats, the brewer's yeast and the flaxseed meal. I used quick oats because that is what I had on hand but I think rolled oats are probably better. The brewer's yeast I found in the organic vitamin section of my grocery. The recipe calls for 2 Tblsp but the can has a lot more than that so I'm sure that I'll make more. As for now I am going to sprinkle some on my morning oatmeal and hope that gives a little boast. The flaxseed meal is found pretty much at any grocery store though I did see some organic the other day. I got mine at Wal-Mart.

They turned out really good. The number one question asked of the non-lactating in the house is if it is okay for them to eat them. Yes it is fine. No one is going to spontaneously start making milk because of the cookies. I only hope they don't eat them all. After all I made them for me. But the recipe made about 3 1/2 dozen drop cookies so there really was plenty.

I'd actually like to try making lactation muffins next. Something I can freeze and heat in the mornings. I don't know if this is going to make much of a difference. I'm hoping between the tea and the cookies and the nursing something will happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment