Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Reading classics

I've never been a huge fan of reading "classic" books.  I've read them to be sure, but they are not my favorite and I don't like it when people make a big deal about it.  It always comes off as pretentious whether they mean it to or not.  I have some favorites among the classics, a few Dickens and
Austen and so on.  Mostly I prefer reading young adult books.  That is my preferred genre and I hate it when people give me a hard time about it.  Rarely do I get a lot of flak for it, but there are some who can't understand why I don't read more adult books.  To them I say this, I am an adult all of the time.  Why do I have to read about it too?  YA books just appeal to me more.  I find most classics boring and I hate wading through the language in half of them.  And I am old enough now to make the choice of rather I want to read them or not.  And that is all there is to that.

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of YA books, I really liked The Adoration of Jenna Fox. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amanda - Glad you like it! The sequel is out soonish, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen!

    No one should give you a hard time about what you read. And really, at least a third of YA readers these days are more A and less Y, so what's the big deal? That is where most of the great books are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure you're at least partly responsible for my interest in reading for fun. You introduced me to some great YA books when I was 12 or so. It's easy to gravitate toward books that remind you of why you like to read in the first place. I still like fantastical stories, but for a slightly older audience. Right now I'm reading Karen Traviss' Gears of War series, but I also really like Kim Harrison.

    ReplyDelete