Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Working out

Last year around this time I decided to lose weight and get healthy.  There were a variety of reason, but the actual beginning came from this thought: I will not be able to have another baby, gain the 30 lbs or so that comes with that and not end up with gestational diabetes or something.  For Bub I was borderline diabetic and I just know somehow that I would definitely have it if I didn't do something.  So it was the thought of my unborn, imaginary second child that did it.  I was always able to eat healthy and exercise when I was pregnant.  I didn't want to be responsible for doing something wrong that could negatively effect my baby.  I was really good.  I swam a couple times of week and ate right (most of the time) and did all the right things.  I think the worst thing I did was drink a mini-Coke everyday because I craved the taste.  And then I had Bub and never lost the weight.  I think I gained about 10 lbs more from my pre-pregnancy weight in fact.  But I let all this slide for a long time.

But now Bub weighs about 30 lbs and carrying him is a strain.  So the extra 30 lbs that I would not be able to put down worried me.  I got a pedometer for Christmas last year and walked and tried to attain 10,000 steps a day.  I did alright.  And then it got hot and I stopped.  I wasn't comfortable walking around my library, with all the students around and it was much too hot to go outside and sweat.  So I just let it fade off.

And then around August, I saw that Netflix streamed workout videos and this seemed like a sign.  My sister-in-law had asked me to be in her wedding and I was worrying about being the fat girl in the wedding and I was still worried about the weight gain of the second child that I keep planning.  I had lost about 10 lbs and then stalled because I had changed my eating but wasn't burning anything off.  I can't work out when I get home.  Bub is too whiny and too needy and he won't let me exercise so my only choice was to get up in the morning.  I am not good at mornings.  But I hauled my ass out of bed at the beginning of August at 5:30 and started exercising.  I was very proud of myself.  Look at me!  One of those working out people.  Like all healthy! And surprising I have kept it up and lost another 10 lbs.  I've had some bad weeks where I barely did anything at all, mostly because of sickness.  And I jumped around between videos (I have to do videos because I can't leave the house) a whole lot.  But I've finally figured out a good routine, doing mostly aerobic exercise(to burn fat) with alterations of strength training (to build muscle) and Pilate's (to lengthen and tone) and it's working well for me and I'm feeling pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment