Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"What the Hell? I've lived a good life.*"

Let me give you a little** of my bio in case you are wondering anything about me. I don't know why you would but still you never know.

Currently I am 30 but soon I will be turning 31 and this is not something I am looking forward to for reasons unknown. I mean, once you turn 30 then 31 should be fine right? Well, the fact is 30 is right there next to your 20's so you are not so far removed. Just a year ago, you were right there with the 20 something crowd so it's cool. But, at 31, that is sadly not the case. You are old, like a grandma or something. Your bones are creaking and you complain how loud things are and that your back hurts and you worry about premiums and insurance and your mortgage***. 31 is sad, yo.

Although I will be getting this bike for my birthday and will get a basket so later in life I can embarrass my child as much as possible. Oh yes, I will be one of those moms.****





Speaking of being a mom, I am one! I have a currently 2 year old son who I call Bubbie online and to his face. Sometimes he will refer to himself that way too. When he was born, I called him Buddy for a long time. I started to wonder if I had named him the wrong name, but my husband, BT (which is also what I actually call him to his face among other things), assured me that we did name him the right thing. I try to protect his privacy so I don't usually refer to him by his real name. Does that make me weird? I don't know, but whatever helps. I also call him my little man, the boy, the child, and THE MAN cause he is just that cool.

I love my child like crazy whoa. I didn't even know how most (good) mothers felt about their children until I had him. You just can't imagine that kind of connection. It's annoying when people say you don't know until you have one of your own, but I think that's true. My pregnancy for him was really good and mostly uneventful until the actual having of him. Then he didn't want to come out even though I was a week overdue and I had to have a c-section. So this is what I learned: children are who they are even in the womb and my child does not like to be made to do stuff, he likes to think of it on his own. He is very much after my own heart. My mom laughs and points because she had to deal with me as a toddler much like Bubbie is now. If you follow me on Twitter then you will hear a lot about him.

Also, you may have noticed I'm married. I have been married 4 years; will be 5 in October. We have been a couple though since we were 20. That makes 10 whole years together; 11 in October. Oh yes, a whole decade with my husband. It's been interesting to say the least, but the good on the whole. We have a good time together and know each other really well and like most of the same things. We meet when two of our friends became roommates and we went, separately, to visit our friends and then like 3 weeks started dating or whatever. Basically, we were an instance couple and that was that.

And lastly, cause this is long, I am a librarian. I have a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and had planned on going to grad school for that but it didn't really work out the way I'd hoped. Plan B became to go to grad school for Library Science so I did. I earned my MLIS (Masters of Library and Information Science) in 2004 with a concentration in Special Libraries, but ended up becoming a Reference Librarian for a Public Library when they were the only ones to offer me a job. So I did that for 4 years before I almost died (not literally) from the stress of being the ONLY reference librarian in the system and just completely burning out. So I moved on and eventually settled here at my current job at an academic library, not doing reference, which is how I prefer things.

*Do you know where this quote comes from?
**Well, long as it turns out.
***Look, I know people do this in their 20's. Work with me here.
****Not really, I just say these things, no reason to fear for my child.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the bike you pick is just as pink-tacular as the one in photo. And I hope you DO get a basket for it and ride around humming the wicked witch of the west song from Wizard of Oz, and do other humiliating things for Bubbie. He'll love you all the more for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is the actual pink-tacular bike that I want. It is even better in person.

    ReplyDelete