Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Favorite Movies to Watch on a Rainy Day

Everyone has rainy day movies. When it's yucky raining outside and you can curl up in bed or on the couch and just watch movies. Here are my favorites in no order.


1. Clue : You have no idea how much I love this movie. I have been watching this movie since it came on HBO and we taped it (with VHS tapes!) and watched it so much that the video eventually broke and me, my mom, and my sister had to buy our own copies on DVD (this is mostly cause we don't live together anymore). I can quote practically the whole movie and this is not a movie to watch with me if you hate it when people do that. My favorite quote is
Colonel Mustard: This is war, Peacock. Casualties are inevitable. You can not make an omelet without breaking eggs, every cook will tell you that.
Mrs. Peacock: But look what happened to the cook!
Also it has the best cast: Tim Curry, Eileen Brennan, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, Martin Mull, Michael McKean, and Lesly Ann Warren. These people are fantastic and all in one movie!

If you don't know what Clue is about, I don't know what to do with you. But... the guests at a dinner party try to find out who killed Mr. Body in what room and with what weapon.


2. Spirited Away: Others would pick Howl's Moving Castle, or Princess Mononoke or maybe even My Neighbor Toroto as their favorite Hayao Miyazaki, but I've always like Spirited Away. It is about a young girl whose parents are turned into pigs after consuming the food of the gods and who works in a bathhouse for those gods while trying to get her parents back. The animation is splendid and the story is really good and creepy at times.






3. Bringing Up Baby: I confess to loving old movies and particularly Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. But this is one of the greats. They are matched made in heaven and so beautiful to look at and their comedic timing is perfect. Katharine Hepburn plays a rich heiress who decides she loves Cary Grant's paleontologist character. It involves a missing bone, a dog, a leopard, and a trip to her aunt's. Beyond that, it's hard to give a brief synopsis. But if you've never seen it, go now. I'll wait here.

(My favorite scence is when Katharine Hepburn is marching around saying "I was born on the side of a hill." Cracks me up everytime.)




4. Any of the Sailor Moon movies: I've talked before about my love of Sailor Moon, my absolute favorite anime show. About two years a girl I use to work with gave me all the movies on DVD and that made me happy. I only had them on VHS and, alas, my VCR was no more so I wasn't able to watch them. But now I can and frequently do. I prefer the Japanese with the subtitles because, frankly, Usagi/Serena's English voice is annoying. There are 3 movies are Sailor Moon R, Sailor Moon S, and Sailor Moon SuperS, after the series seasons. My favorite is the S movie. Sailor Moon is a magical girl series. The evil Princess Snow Kaguya is after the Earth and tries to freeze it in order to gain control. The Sailor Senshi (or Soldiers) fight her. There is also a subplot about the talking cat, Luna.



5. Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events: Even though I was disappointed by Jim Carrey in this movie, it is still one of my favorites. The children they picked for the Baudelaires are perfect and they do an excellent job. I don't even mind the order change since it makes sense for the movie. These are some of my favorite books and I really like this movie. In fact, I lost my first copy of this movie and had to buy a new one. If you've never heard of this movie or its book series (and if you haven't, COME ON), orphan children fight against an evil villain to steal their money.

4 comments:

  1. What about ELF? That's my favorite movie. In my mine it is not a Christmas movie. It is a movie to be enjoyed year round. Rainy day? That's more than enough of an excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't actually seen ELF. We were showing it for Movie Night when I worked at the public library but then I went and had a baby and missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on Clue. I could probably recite the entire thing also. My favorite part is:

    Wadsworth: I suggest we take the cook's body into the study.
    Colonel Mustard: Why?
    Wadsworth: I'm the butler, I like to keep the kitchen tidy.

    ReplyDelete