Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

Ring Inscriptions

When the time came to get BT his wedding ring I decided it need an inscription.  His would be big enough to fit one (unlike mine) and so I tried in vain for days to think of something.  DAYS!  Nothing really seemed to fit or was too long or too cheesy.  I am not sentimental by nature and so I found it awkward trying to find something that would fit inside of a ring that he would be wearing that symbolized our decision to be together forever.  Because right?  Anyway, at the time, one of our favorite songs was "Tonight and the Rest of My Life" by Nina Gordon.  So finally BT suggested just that and that fit so well.  It was exactly right though it bugged me that he had to come up with his own inscription when it should have been my job.  But anyway, Tonight and the Rest of My Life is what he has.

"I feel so light
This is all I want to feel tonight
I feel so light
Tonight and the rest of my life" - Nina Gordon
 But then I found this quote the other day from Tom Robbins:
"Love is the ultimate outlaw. It just won't adhere to any rules. The most any of us can do is to sign on as its accomplice. Instead of vowing to honor and obey, maybe we should swear to aid and abet. That would mean that security is out of the question. The words "make" and "stay" become inappropriate. My love for you has no strings attached. I love you for free."
— Tom Robbins (Still Life with Woodpecker)

And I love this.  This has to be one of the best quotes about love that I have ever read.  And Tom Robbins is such a poetic writer anyway.  So I told BT that if he ever needed a new ring I would inscript it with "I love you for free."

No comments:

Post a Comment